Foster Carers & Residential Staff
Your role as carer is very important to children in care, and to us at the Virtual School. Helping your child to learn and stay motivated has been a challenge. Now that your child has returned to school, how have carers and parents across the borough coped this year?
The Virtual School is here to support you and your child. We provide you with learning tools and a qualified teacher as an advocate. A Virtual School teacher can help and advise you to make the best decisions for your child. You will have questions about your child attending school and thriving. Here are some of the answers to those questions.
At the Virtual School we work with our students, schools and families to provide the support needed to help our children become independent adults. It is crucial to be ambitious for your child. You have a wealth of experience to help your child to reach their full potential.
Your Virtual School Teacher
Your Virtual School teacher will be in regular contact by phone,email and PEP meetings to ask how your child is getting on. We welcome your views. Please ask for the support you need.
The Virtual School will:
- Take an active interest in your child's learning and wellbeing
- Provide resources to help you to support your child’s learning at home
- Provide quality training for you 2021-2022.
- Regularly update our NEW events calendar to keep you up to date with activities, lessons, study support and events
- Throughout the year, the Virtual School will also invite you to attend forums. You will be able to ask questions and get the help you need.
We will also:
- Provide a library of excellent e-learning programmes by AC Education. Contact the Virtual School 020 7364/3692 or Fadumo Said to book your course
- Provide extracurricular and holiday activities throughout the year for your child.See our calendar
- Provide free webinars from AC Education to support you
- Provide you with a code to access carer courses on your new app. Please contact Shahirul Bashar or your Virtual School teacher for your code to access the app: THVS Learn
- Keep you up to date with our termly newsletters.
- Keep you up to date on university events at UEL and other universities for Years 10-13.
- Is your child keen to get into Oxford? Oxford University is running a series of events for students in Year 11 and 12 who are considering applying to Oxford or Cambridge. Explore links here and here!
It's important when working with your child’s school to:
- Take an active interest in the child’s homework
- Encourage your child to study.
- Support your child’s attendance at school
- Advocate for the child’s needs by making sure your views are heard. Completing your carer views form with your child's social worker, or a Virtual School teacher will help us all to understand more about what your child needs
PEP meetings are a great way to have direct conversations with your child's school and with the Virtual School. You will always be listened to and form part of the plan to help your child.
Get to Know Your Education Champions
The role of the education champion include:
- Helping you to engage with the education of your child
- Helping you understand your role in deciding what is best for your child
- Attending PEPs with you to help you discuss your childs needs
If you feel you need support from an education champion, please contact the Virtual School. 020 7364 3692
Practical tips for you to support children with their learning:
- Tell the school about changes or problems
- Help your child to talk about any worries and speak on their behalf when appropriate
- Help your child to voice their hopes for their future in their school
- Encourage your child to develop their talents and recognise their achievements, no matter how small
- Attend parents’ evenings and invite the birth family where appropriate
- Support school policies
- Take an interest in the activities of the school
- Complete homework diaries and reading records.
- Support homework by reading with your child, offering advice and making sure set tasks are completed
- Support school and Virtual School events
- Make sure you know the timetables and arrangements for exams